From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:21:10
1 On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 09:17:07AM -0700, Ben Munat wrote:
2 > Just to throw my two-devil's-advocate-cents in here, I maintain a gentoo
3 > server and -- though I certainly appreciate getting well-tested,
4 > problem-free updates -- I think the biggest problem gentoo faces is how far
5 > behind the curve it is. It's just plain embarassing that there are still no
6 > (unmasked) versions of PHP5, MySQL4.1 or 5, or Java 5/Tomcat 5.5 in
7 > portage... all of which have been freely available for over a year.
8
9 This is the other side of "enterprise Gentoo". Some enterprises need the
10 fast pace that open source delivers.
11
12 Anyway, there are reasons why MySQL 4.1/5 are not available in the /stable/
13 tree yet - you can however find the ebuilds in Portage. They are either
14 marked as ~arch (ebuild needs testing) or listed in package.mask (software
15 needs testing). Some of these versions (like 5) are said by MySQL AB
16 themselves that they shouldn't be used for production use yet. Gentoo
17 generally follows their advise. After all, who are we to question the
18 developers of MySQL :)
19
20 Same for PHP5.
21
22 Yes, J2EE support with Gentoo is a bit behind but I'm sure this'll change in
23 the near future.
24
25 Wkr,
26 Sven Vermeulen