From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Opteron; BIOS ack's all 4GB RAM, but OS does not
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 15:28:22
1 On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 16:54 +0200, Christian Parpart wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I finally got it; my Operaton workstation with 2x Opteron248 CPUs and 4GB RAM
5 > is arrived. However, the BIOS says that I really have 4GB RAM inside, that I
6 > have, but the Linux is just telling me something about 3GB.
7 The upper 1G is sometimes lost to PCI etc. adress space
8 Especially in 32bit mode since the kernel has to allocate some space for
9 PCI, DMA buffers, ... and it has to fit into 32bit adress space (and 4G
10 ~= 32bit)
11 > `free -mt` as
12 > well as `kinfocenter` are telling this. Although, I (unfortunately) *had* to
13 > install windows2003 on a partition, too (for working for my company), and
14 > there it is also just telling me something about 3 (instead of 4) GB RAM.
15 known "bug" in windows, it can only use 3G
16 > Did I miss something?
17 re-check the BIOS and kernel config ... I've seen it working with 4G :-)
18 > mem=4096M in boot commandline didn't help there much.
19 >
20 > I'm having a TYAN board, with PhoenixBIOS on it. The handbook is far off being
21 > a good handbox, so, did I miss something I should configure/reconfigure in
22 > the BIOS then, so, that the OS will use all RAM?
23 >
24 > I found something about "Memory hole" and "1024MB". maybe this is my missing
25 > 1GB? But I can't really disable it, although, playing around w/ this value
26 > didn't change anything (yet)...
27 Sounds right, but I don't know what exactly would need changing
28
29 Patrick