From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] kernel binary package [it was: Binary
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 13:15:27
1 > In gentoo the kernel has to be compiled.
2
3 No, it doesn't. Your problem concerns the matter of finding a mechanism to
4 distribute a pre-compiled kernel; specifically, you want to use portage's
5 existing binary package mechanism.
6
7 I suspect this can be accomplished if you examine more closely how
8 packages are constructed. If I recall correctly, a portage binary package
9 is simply a
10 standard bzipped tarball that contains the relevant /var/db/pkg directory
11 entry _and_ the files that are listed in the CONTENTS file under said
12 directory.
13
14 You might be able to hack a package up by modifying the CONTENTS file
15 prior to --building the package (so that the extra bits you want are
16 referenced), and any other files that seem relevant there.
17
18 Don't forget also that if you are going to use packages that install
19 things into /boot then you want to make sure that the target hosts have
20 /boot mounted prior to such packages being installed ;)
21
22 HTH,
23
24 --Kerin Francis Millar