From: Michael Diederich <dev-null@××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: Re: Old hdd in server
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:53:20
1 begin -<[ stephen white * Samstag, 8. November 2003 17:35 ]>-
2
3 > Nobody else said it, so I will... your Linux system can also be
4 > improved by what you don't add, so I would recommend binning the
5 > drives. It's not worth the effort of trying, and it's a false economy
6 > to use them. On /tmp, the machine will die if the drive fails.
7 > As this is the server mailing list, I'll also point out that adding odd
8 > bits and pieces of hardware to your machines makes groups of servers
9 > more difficult to manage. You should be working towards standardised
10 > machines to minimise the number of hardware profiles you need to
11 > maintain.
12
13 The server will be for my "flat-sharing community"; maybe also as a proxy.
14 I'am still not sure about the services i want to provide - maybe http/imap
15 ftp/mysql/ssh/nntp.. And I won a 80GB HDD for my backups from my notebook
16 and for my mp3s.. I don't want to throw the 2GB drive away ;-)
17
18 You see, there are no important things on the server for me, when the system
19 dies ones..
20
21 Newbie-question: When i mount /tmp on the 2GB drive, and this ones die, how
22 can i boot and set with fdisk a new place for the /tmp?
23
24 (you see, the server will also be a training place for my, in the meantime i
25 need my notebook for real work and can not play anymore..)
26
27 Best regards,
28
29 da didi
30 --
32 Gentoo Linux: Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.11
33 kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r7 Pentium III (Coppermine)