From: Leon Schoorl <leon@××××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] eth0 startup
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 03:40:58
1 Ajai Khattri schreef:
2 >
3 > I have iptables and net.eth0 in my default runlevel - is it normal for
4 > iptables to start *before* eth0 is up? If not, then why is this
5 > happening?
6 I think it's for security reasons. If eth0 goes up first and the
7 iptables some (short) time after that. Then in that (short) time some,
8 perhaps malicious, could come in. Which should be blocked be some
9 iptable rules, that still have to be loaded.
10 That time should be pretty short, but better safe then sorry, so
11 iptables is started first.
12
13 Regards,
14 Leon