From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] several semi-related questions
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 18:14:38
1 It's one of those days when every answer I seek creates more questions... any help
2 appreciated:
3
4 -- I have a pending update to apache-2.0.54-r4. This is the long-awaited "apache package
5 refresh", correct?
6
7 -- Assuming it is, I went to
8 http://dev.gentoo.org/~vericgar/doc/apache-package-refresh.html#use
9 and read through that. It says that "There are some modules and packages that depend on
10 Apache that have not yet been updated." I went to the bug report specified, and almost all
11 the dependent bugs are closed... I don't think anything that was open will affect me. It
12 also recommended using equery; I did and it came up with:
13
14 dev-db/phpmyadmin-2.6.1_p2-r1
15 dev-db/phpmyadmin-2.5.7_p1
16 dev-db/phpmyadmin-2.6.0_p2
17 dev-db/phpmyadmin-2.6.0_p3
18 dev-db/phpmyadmin-2.6.1_p2
19 dev-db/phpmyadmin-2.6.1_rc1
20 dev-php/mod_php-4.3.11
21 dev-util/subversion-1.1.3
22 net-mail/vqadmin-2.3.6
23 net-mail/qmailadmin-1.2.1
24 www-apps/gallery-1.4.4-r1
25 www-apps/gallery-1.4.4_p2
26 www-apps/gallery-1.4.4_p4
27 www-apps/gallery-1.4.4_p5
28 www-apps/gallery-1.4.4_p6
29 www-apps/gallery-1.4.4
30
31 Anyone see anything that they know still has a problem with the apache refresh?
32
33 -- (side question:) gallery and phpmyadmin are installed via webapp-config... didn't
34 realize I was accumulating versions... how do I get rid of old ones?
35
36 -- The above migration document also talks about putting all the packages that support the
37 apache changes in /etc/portage/package.keywords. But that's old information right? If the
38 dependent bugs are closed, then the necessary packages should no longer be masked, right?
39
40 -- I will still need to reinstall dependent packages to get the path changes taken care
41 of, right? The migration doc suggests the use of "emerge --update --deep"... Hmm, and when
42 I try that for "apache subversion mod_php vqadmin qmailadmin phpmyadmin gallery", it comes
43 up with about 50 packages... yikes. But that needs to be done, right?
44
45 -- (side question:) And actually, if I do the "emerge --deep ... world" version suggested
46 there, it comes up with at least a hundred packages to update and then errors out, saying
47 that "The above package list contains packages which cannot be installed on the same
48 system." Why would that happen? And, I guess I've never paid much attention to the
49 "--deep" option... is this something I should be doing more often?
50
51 -- This new "no-htdocs" USE flag is only necessary if I install gentoo-webroot-default,
52 right? I DO NOT want gentoo to overwrite my htdocs!
53
54 -- I have phppgadmin installed as well... any idea why it doesn't show up in the equery
55 report above?
56
57 -- And actually, if I do "emerge -p phppgadmin" I get:
58 [ebuild U ] net-www/webapp-config-1.10-r14 [1.10-r11]
59 [ebuild R ] dev-db/phppgadmin-3.5.1
60 So, I'm current on phppgadmin, but there's supposedly an update to webapp-config!? But
61 wait a minute, my "emerge -p world" doesn't show that... Hmm, I see, it's not in my world
62 file... not sure how that happened. Well, I'll add it, but it be nice to know if there are
63 others. Heh, I just tried regenworld and all it added was sys-devel/bin86... Why would
64 webapp-config not get added to world and might there be other stuff that I'm missing. I
65 depend on emerge world to keep me up to date!
66
67 Okay, that's enough meandering questions for now... thanks in advance for any help.
68
69 b
74 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list