From: Joe Sleeper <joe@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:17:30
1 On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 15:36, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 > If you were given the choice between:
4 >
5 > 1) A more robust QA process for the main portage tree or
6 > 2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
7 > * only updated quarterly
8 > * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
9 > tree
10 > * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
11 >
12 > Which would you find more valuable and why?
13 >
14 > --kurt
15
16 In my opinion both options, if executed in a manner that makes sense,
17 would help make Gentoo a better option for more people to use it in a
18 server environment.
19
20 I love the way things are constantly updated, not having to wait for my
21 Linux distribution to release an upgrade in order to get the 'cool' new
22 packages (such as when Gnome or KDE release new versions). Also the
23 fact that releases don't mean anything once the system is installed is
24 very nice - mostly for my desktop and laptop machines though.
25
26 For servers, I think the second option is a very good idea. This would
27 make it easier for people to update their software for security's sake
28 without having to update world or pick and choose what to update (making
29 it easy for people to miss packages that should be updated because of a
30 serious flaw.
31
32 I do have a couple more thoughts that could be built onto #2:
33
34 1. Make it easy for people to be able to stick with certain older
35 packages that they may be required to use, such as Apache 1.x vs.
36 Apache2.
37
38 2. I don't know how difficult this would be (or how much sense it might
39 make to others), but maybe it would be possible for people not to have
40 to immediately upgrade to the quarterly release and still be able to get
41 the security and major bug fixes. Possibly keep each quarter's release
42 for a year - 2004.1, 2004.2 and so on. Maintain the three previous
43 trees that aren't current with the security and major flaw fixes and
44 retire them after a year. (This is just an idea I just came up with
45 after reading Kurt's email, just throwing it out here to invoke
46 thought).
47
48 3. Maintain some sort of web page or something with the planned package
49 upgrades that will happen in the next quarter's release and what they
50 might mean people will have to do after it's upgraded (such as changes
51 in where files are located or major changes in config files).
52
53 I'll finish this email by stating that I *love* Gentoo and am glad to
54 see that it's always improving (I've just crossed the one-year mark of
55 it being the main distro that I use).
58 joe sleeper
59 freenode irc nick - jsleeper