From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] requirements for a more stable portage tree
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:22:43
1 +1
2
3 Steve's ideas are excellent.
4
5 AfC
6
7 On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 00:35, stephen white wrote:
8 > On 12/02/2004, at 11:48 PM, Kurt Lieber wrote:
9 > > with gimp 1.2.5 and then, later on, 1.2.{6,7,8,9} are also released as
10 > > 'stable' they would be added into that 2003.4 branch as well? But gimp
11 > > 1.3+ would never be added?
12 >
13 > Yep, that's pretty much it. Some packages have backported security
14 > fixes (eg, Linux 2.0 and 2.2 are maintained), so I'd be interested in
15 > being able to offload that task onto the authors, or possibly crib from
16 > other projects like Debian where the work has already been done.
17 >
18 > For the packages that don't have backported security or bug fixes, it
19 > would revert to the prior situation where it just becomes frozen and
20 > never updated.
21 >
22 > > AxKit 1.6.1
23 > > libxslt 1.0.31
24 > > libxml2 2.5.6
25 >
26 > When you first installed those machines, you would have used the
27 > current Gentoo versions, eg "x86" rather than a frozen baseline. Hence
28 > the issue still exists up to that first checkpoint where you decide "am
29 > I going to keep following current or declare the machine
30 > 'finished'?"...
31 >
32 > So while you're following current, you would discover those kinds of
33 > "2.5.6 works but 2.5.8 doesn't" situations and either pin the package
34 > versions or send fixes to the authors so 2.5.9 works again. :)
35 >
36 > Just another perspective. The main intent is to have the structure to
37 > be able to take advantage of other groups and projects doing
38 > backporting efforts even though we won't be ourselves...
39 >
40 > --