From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Opteron; BIOS ack's all 4GB RAM, but OS does not [solved]
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 01:34:34
1 On Monday 16 May 2005 3:49 pm, Christian Parpart wrote:
2 > On Monday 16 May 2005 3:29 pm, Eric Thibodeau wrote:
3 > > Hi Chrisitian,
4 > >
5 > > You might want to take a look at the Linux kernel amilling list. One of
6 > > my friends had issues with his dual Xeon and 4Gigs of RAM. In his case,
7 > > Windows would claim to see the 4Gigs but would actually crassh when he
8 > > actually came to use more than 3...sounds fammiliar?
9 > >
10 > > In Linux, he'd get a kernel panic on boot (2.6.x kernels)...after over 6
11 > > months of poking at forums and the LKML, his bug was officially received
12 > > as valid from the kernel gurus and eventually fixed....
13 > >
14 > > hope this helps a little in your investigation...
15 >
16 > Aiiii! doesn't sound that good, however, better having a bug from blocking
17 > me my 4th GB than a statement like "just just can't" :)
18 >
19 > I'm following the LKML not that long yet to have cought up your friends
20 > message, but I'll try a new thread then.
21
22 THANKS ALL!
23
24 The problem has been a misconfigured BIOS setup. Well, It was already
25 misconfigured as I received the machine by my local shop. However, setting
26 Memhole to "Software" has fixed this issue for good :-D
27
28 (Now I can start coding mem-eating apps ^o^)
29
30 Thanks,
31 Christian Parpart.
34 Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
35 03:32:44 up 54 days, 16:39, 0 users, load average: 0.11, 0.07, 0.07