From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Reccomendations for a rackmount server
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:15:56
1 That's pretty hard without more info. Is this for a single server, or
2 are you looking for a vendor? What kind of server are you looking for
3 -- what will it be used for?
4
5 Some thoughts:
6
7 Dell -- Avoid. Dell is a follower. They don't innovate, just copy
8 prior successes. Also we've noticed that their 1U servers start to bend
9 in the rack -- very lame. But they frequently are cheaper...
10
11 IBM -- if they are your vendor and you are getting good service, they
12 make a wide variety of excellent products. I'm currently in the process
13 of retasking some 4+ year old servers that still work beautifully. IBM
14 can be very pricey though.
15
16 HP -- some of their new products are pretty cool. They are trying
17 REALLY hard to push new technology and excellent service. One of our
18 associated groups is sold on HP and have been buying large numbers of HP
19 servers.
20
21 1U best for single role servers
22 2U more flexible -- should be 2P.
23 4U should be only for the most demanding roles (DB or heavy crunchers)
24
25 jbw
26
27 Jonathan S. Romero wrote:
28
29 > Hello,
30 >
31 > Can anyone reccomend a rackmount server to use on a new gentoo server system?
32 > Also, does anyone have any experience with OpenGroupware.Org as a replacement
33 > for an MS Exchange server?
34 >
35 > -Jonathan S. Romero