From: Ryan Gibbons <gibbonsr-ml@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] php 4 to 5
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:45:20
1 Ben Munat wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > So, I know I'm a bad gentoo administrator and all, but I am just
5 > getting around to moving from php 4 to 5. Was wondering if anyone knew
6 > of any gotchas to watch out for or guides to help with the process.
7 > Everything I'm finding through google seems to be about the update
8 > from the old php packages to dev-lang/php, which I did a long time ago.
9 >
10 > It would be really sweet if I could just unmask php and emerge. What
11 > are the chances of it being that easy?
12 >
13 > Thanks,
14 >
15 > Ben
16 I would say the chances are 50/50 :) It really depends on what is being
17 used. If you have a lot of complex applications, that use a lot of PEAR
18 or other PHP packages it might take a few goes to get all the packages
19 you need for php5. Also if you have a lot of applications that still
20 are not compatible with PHP 5 (which is my case I believe, still need to
21 find time to go and check it), you will run into problems.
22
23 I've read somewhere about people moving to php5 will run php4 through
24 cgi, and then just process the document extensions differently. (a
25 simple bash script could go through several sub direcotries renaming all
26 .php to .php4). Just some thoughts.
27
28 I'd ask you keep us , and specifically me , updated on how well the
29 process goes :D