From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] prioritising security updates
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:22:37
1 Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 07 September 2005 04:04, Ben Munat wrote:
3 >
4 >>So, how do I wind up with 17 packages that need to be updated? Hmm, perhaps
5 >>these are all packages on my system that are neither in my world file nor
6 >>depdencies of stuff in my world file? Would that then make them orphaned?
7 >>And theoretically safe to delete? How does one find out if a specific
8 >>package is required by any other packages again?
9 >
10 > Only packages you explicitly emerge are recorded in the world profile
11 > (/var/lib/portage/world) dependencies are not. See the man pages for portage
12 > and emerge for more details.
13 >
14 > HTH
17 Thanks... however, I knew this much -- found that I have to be careful with this when
18 getting going on a new gentoo system. It's handy to say "emerge somephpapp" and get php
19 and mysql in the process... except then they're not in my world file.... though I suppose
20 I can always just add them by hand.
21
22 But doing an "emerge -D world" should find any dependencies of anything in the world file
23 that need updating, right? So, my questions still stand: are these packages that
24 glsa-check is finding stuff that other packages depended on at one point -- so they got
25 pulled in -- but are now no longer needed? And what tool can I use to ascertain this?
26 "emerge --depclean" is basically useless... it always wants to uninstall things that I'm
27 fairly sure are needed. "etcat" doesn't seem to have anything for finding dependecies. And
28 "equery depends" is still "unimplemented"... (though I thought I'd used that at one point
29 but it seems to find no results for everything I try).
30
31 Ideas anyone? What do you use to keep orphaned packages off your system?
32
33 b
34 --
35 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list