From: david@×××××××××.com
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:13:41
1 > 1) A more robust QA process for the main portage tree or
2 > 2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
3 > * only updated quarterly
4 > * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
5 > tree
6 > * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
9 My vote is for #2. I think it would be the easiest to implement, and
10 my guess is the servers wouldn't mind another portage tree. It's the
11 distfiles that take up all the space.
12
13 But if the server group could maintain a 'stable' or 'enterprise' tree
14 I think it would go a *long* way. I currently do this on my own
15 internally at my company, but it *sucks* because I dont' have the time
16 to track all the changes and what not. Pooling the collective efforts
17 of everyone else is a Good Thing(tm).