From: Bryn Hughes <linux@×××××××.ca>
To: Anthony Valentine <amv@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:46:13
1 On Mar 22, 2004, at 4:23 PM, Anthony Valentine wrote:
2
3 > I am using Amanda and I find that it works perfectly for me.
4 >
5 > Your gripes with Amanda are valid, but consider these points:
6 >
7 > * Amanda being unable to append to a tape is a design feature. Imagine
8 > having a weeks worth of backups on one tape and having that tape go
9 > bad. Instead of losing one days backup, you lose a week. This has
10 > happened to me before (not with Amanda, but homegrown scripts), and let
11 > me tell you, it sucks!
12
13 That is definitely a concern - my specific environment has no
14 requirement for anything more than a backup from a few days ago so
15 loosing a few days due to a tape failure won't be a show stopper for
16 me. Most of the content I'm backing up is reasonably static so at
17 worst I'd be looking at loosing a few days email or changes... since
18 nobody is being payed for their time working on this system the costs
19 of recreating lost work are nil. This obviously isn't true for most
20 server environments.
23 > * Amanda cannot span a single disklist/filesystem across more than one
24 > tape, but it is easy to work around this. You can either split the
25 > filesystem up into different directories and add them individually to
26 > the disklist, or you can add the filesystem to the disklist more than
27 > once, but use filename exclusions to limit what gets backed up for each
28 > one.
29
30 This is one way around it to be sure. It still offers no guarantee
31 that you will get a final backup that will fit on one tape however.
32 The only safe way to make sure your entire filesystem will get backed
33 up is to make sure that the filesystem is smaller than a tape. A user
34 can fill a disk in a way you won't have anticipated and if you gave
35 them the space in the first place they would expect it to be backed up.
36
37 > * If Amanda is taking that long to backup to tape, you may not have
38 > enough holding disk set aside.
39
40 I'm talking about actual tape write time. My streamer can't do more
41 than 1.5 MB/sec on a 15G tape so you're looking at nearly 3 hours to
42 fill a tape no matter how big your holding disk is. I have a number of
43 small filesystems and one that's about 14G. The planner always writes
44 that one last (which gives the best chance of most filesystems being
45 backed up). When/if the first tape fills up (after nearly 3 hours of
46 writing) it is going to start over at the beginning of that 14G
47 filesystem and spend another 2 1/2 hours or so writing on to tape 2.
48 The ability to append to the next tape would cut a 5 hour run down to
49 just over 3 hours - quite an improvement.
50
51 > * There are a couple of GUI projects going, though I don't know if any
52 > of them are production ready. In any case, one of the better things
53 > about Amanda is that once it is setup the way you want it, there is
54 > very
55 > little for a GUI to help you do. I haven't changed my Amanda
56 > configuration since it's initial rollout, except for adding or removing
57 > disklist entries with only requires editing one file.
58
59 I agree - I don't want a GUI for amanda's configuration, just for
60 amrecover. Even that isn't really necessary, it's just a 'nice to
61 have'.
62
63 Bryn
64 --