From: Brett Curtis <dashnu.mutt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Can someone confirm? tg3 MTU issues.
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 19:49:00
1 Hello
2 On 11:25 Wed 07 Feb , kashani wrote:
3 > Brett Curtis wrote:
4 > >Ok, this is great. In saying that do you have any idea what I should look
5 > >at?
6 > >
7 > >Again same tests on any of my servers running different nics work fine
8 > >connected to the same switch. I have the latest nic firmware from ibm... I
9 > >guess it could be something else ibm specific?
10 > >
11 > >These are the two cards I am having issues with.
12 > >
13 > >Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721
14 > >Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703X
15 > >
16 > >I probably should have noted that seeing the tg3 supports a wide range of
17 > >nics ..
18 > >Could you test on a machine using one of these cards or did you already?
19 > >
20 > >thanks for the response.
21 >
22 > I'm seeing the same behavior on my Dell SC servers BCM5751 and BCM5721.
23 > 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 in both cases.
24 > I might have a newer kernel I can try
25 > later. One thing to note is that both of these are PCI Express.
28 I have tried almost every kernel from 2.6.12 up to 20 still with no luck. All
29 of my nics that are failing when lowering the mtu are also on PCI Express.
30
31 > Oddly changing to MTU 1492 on the e1000 chips (82541GI) locks the
32 > interface for about 20-30 seconds before it responds again after which
33 > the ping -s 5000 does work. 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 on those servers and the
34 > Intel is PCI Express as well.
35
36 Works fine with my intel nic. (82546EB) again also on PCI Express.
40 > kashani
41
42 Thanks, I wonder where I should go now.. Wonder if its a tg3 kernel bug.
43 >
44 > --
45 > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list
49 Created with VIM & mutt.
50
51 I came home the other night and tried to open the door with my car keys...and
52 the building started up. So I took it out for a drive. A cop pulled me over
53 for speeding. He asked me where I live... "Right here".
54 -- Steven Wright
57 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list