From: "Paul Kölle" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] trouble with booting 2005.0 on SATA RAID
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 10:02:27
1 Hi folks,
2
3 maybe someone hit the same roadblock an could give some insight.
4
5 The situation:
6 I'm trying to setup gentoo 2005.0 on a new p4 with 2Gig and 4 SATA
7 disks. The disks are on an Adaptec 8110x which uses (unsupported)
8 Marvell chips. So far so bad.
9
10 I managed to find a (proprietary) driver and built it on another gentoo
11 box, my plan was to boot the box, then load the driver manually to setup
12 disks, install the system and build a new kernel with the driver
13 included. The problem is, regardless what I put on the bootprompt, it
14 ends up with:
15
16 "Scanning for volume groups..."
17 ....takes forever
18
19 "Activating volume groups..."
20 ....hangs mostly...
21
22 The simple truth is: There are no volume groups, there are no block
23 devices at this point and I don't want the installer to bother at all.
24 How can I do this?
25
26 thanks
27 Paul
28
29 BTW: I did my homework, I ordered another board but after the submission
30 the shop asked if it would be OK to ship an "equivalent" one since the
31 original was not in stock. Well...
34 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list