From: Jonathan Romero <jo875452@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] rock solid firewall box
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:21:02
1 <disclaimer>I am in my last few months of my bachelors degree in CS and
2 am averaging around 3 hours of sleep per night, and it's 2:30 am.
3 Please forgive spelling and logical errors. I wont be offended if
4 things are pointed out to be wrong in this post.
5 </disclaimer>
6
7 I use shorewall on a gentoo system running wolk-sources as my border
8 firewall. It runs really nicely. If you do decide you want to proxy
9 outgoing access from your users, squid runs VERY well for this.
10
11 I've used squidguard before for content filtering as well and found it
12 very useful. One other benifit of running a proxy is it's relatively
13 easy to do time based filtering, like blocking outgoing network access
14 from certian segments over the weekend. In general i'm not a big fan of
15 leaving internet access on outside of business hours.
16
17 I've heard good things about Dansgaurdian, but never tried it before.
18 Oh and one more thing, i HIGHLY reccomend transparent proxying of port
19 80, simply for the sake of cutting down on support calls when some self
20 appointed techno-genius messes with their proxy settings. Read the
21 squid and shorewall docs for info on how to do this.
22
23 -Jonathan S. Romero
24