From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup software
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:15:55
1 Nigel Marsh wrote:
2
3 >Jose,
4 >
5 >[...]
6 >As to reverting to a given date. The short answer (unusual for me ;)) is No...
7 >The longer answer is, according the developments on the mailing list it will
8 >do soon.
11 Well, I had that feeling. The final question: let's say that
12 somebody deletes a bunch of files that shouldn't be deleted. You told
13 that the backup system informs of changes every hour or so, so I assume
14 those files will also be deleted on the backed up system, am I wrong? If
15 this is the case, and you notice the problem a few hours later, is there
16 any way to recover those files? That's why I was asking about recovering
17 the state for a given date/time.
20 >On the server side, you have no access to this data. You need to keep a client
21 >key safe to rebuild a totally dead client so that it can restore and start
22 >again where you left off.
25 >Sorry, got carried away and probably went way over what was needed to answer
26 >your question. Must be this new coffee I'm drinking. ;)
29 Not at all. Your answer has been very informative, and will help me
30 a lot in making my mind in my final decission about backup software.
31 Thanks a lot for your kindly response... and tell us about that new
32 coffee, I think it may help us on overnight system failures ;o)
33
34 >Nige
38 Best regards
39 Jose