From: Andrew Ross <aross@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] phpBB masking
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:44:43
1 widyachacra wrote:
2
3 > The phpBB is still masked due to constant security bugs since 2005 Jun
4 > 30. But its using for forums.gentoo.org <http://forums.gentoo.org>. I
5 > tried to contact Mr.Aaron Walker ( ka0ttic@g.o
6 > <mailto:ka0ttic@g.o>) regarding this matter but his email address
7 > also not working.
8
9 That's because he is retired, according to
10 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/roll-call/userinfo.xml?statusFilter=Retired
11
12 I'm not entirely sure what the problem is that you're trying to report.
13 If you want to use phpBB yourself, then you need to follow the
14 instructions from "emerge phpBB" and see the MASKED PACKAGES section of
15 the emerge man page. However, you must be prepared to accept that phpBB
16 has a dubious security history and requires extra care and attention to
17 prevent your server being compromised.
18
19 If you look at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/forums/index.xml#doc_chap4
20 you'll see that the 3-man Forums Infrastructure Subproject is
21 responsible for maintaining the MySQL database and the phpBB instance
22 that powers forums.gentoo.org . The underlying server is presumably
23 maintained and secured by the Infrastructure team
24 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/index.xml), which includes
25 some of our most experienced developers.
28 > paala# cat /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp.
29 > timestamp.chk timestamp.x
30 > wt1-doratupaala alias # cat /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp.chk
31 > Fri, 23 Nov 2007 04:30:01 +0000
32
33 FYI, an easier way of doing this is:
34
35 andrew@elm ~ $ emerge --info | fgrep Timestamp
36 Timestamp of tree: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:46:01 +0000
37
38 Cheers
39
40 Andrew