From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] initng and runscript
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:29:19
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 10:45 +0100, Andrea Carpani wrote:
3 >
4 >>Hi all,
5 >>
6 >>I'm looking around for alternatives to runscript style init scripts as I
7 >>don't like very much default gentoo scripts. While I do like the
8 >>depencencies stuff I still don't get why a "status" on a script gives
9 >>"started" if the process died badly, or why I need to manually do a zap
10 >>(can't restart do it for me?).
11 >
12 > The init-scripts only save state and don't check if the service is doing what it is supposed to do.
13 Yes, and that is by design.
14
15 >>I think status should be implemented in each init script and should give
16 >>the real status of the service be it a ps|grep or whatever.
17 >
18 > That would make init-scripts much more complicated and buggy I think.
19 > While that would be optimal I don't see it happening in the near future.
20 > Also it is really hard to reliably detect a service in a "working"
21 > state, so you'd only check "does any process named sshd run?" which is
22 > also mildly buggy :-) etc. etc.
23 > It's not as easy as it sounds.
26 >>One more thing I'd like to see is a init controlled check on the death
27 >>of some daemons (sort of what daemontools does).
28 Yes, use daemontools :-)
29
30 Gentoo fellow chutz has almost complete system under daemontools and I am following his way.
31 I hope to be able to provide a more general "all-in-/service" solutuion.
32
33 > If I'm not mistaken a looooong time ago Gentoo used daemontools by default.
34 Don't remember this, and I am using Gentoo for a long time...
35
36 >>This is why I'm asking: has anyone here seriously tested/used initng new
37 >>scripts?
38 >
39 > There are many different monitoring tools ... but none of them are easy
40 > to integrate into baselayout.
41 What else is there apart form daemontools, I know of any other..
42
43 Kalin.
44 /also known as korokoro or tar/
45 --