From: "Halassy Zoltán" <zhalassy@×××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] no-multilib -> multilib (theory)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:47:23
1 Hello!
2
3 (speaking about x86 and x86_64)
4
5 I've read after going no-multilib, there is no way back (at least there
6 is no straight way to do, though hacks exists).
7
8 I'm wondering what makes it difficult. The first issue is, gcc can make
9 32bit object files, but the linker cannot create executables as 32bit
10 libgcc.a is missing. On multilib systems, gcc itself is a 64bit
11 executable, only with a few extra 32bit .a and .so files (so effectively
12 a cross-compiler on a 64-bit system for 32-bit systems). I didn't try,
13 but I can't see why one couldn't compile a multilib gcc on a
14 non-multilib system. Does linking those extra 32bit .so and .a files
15 require some information from the not-present 32bit libc which causes
16 the problem?

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature