From: tigger@g.o
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Overlay code
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:16:38
1 Hi all,
2
3 I have a very beta release of some code I've written to implement a very
4 simple cfengine style thing. At the moment I'm using it to keep track of
5 which config files I change after the default install of redhat 7.3 for
6 various machines. The idea being: I can back up the overlay directories
7 on the machine then quickly rebuild another machine, scp/rsync the
8 overlay directories over and run with the help of the overlay code have
9 a working replacement.
10
11 I also get version history of the changes to the files. I'm probably not
12 explaining this very well and I'm not so great at documentation.
13
14 The end goal is to be able to share the overlays across a network (in
15 fact it supports classes for that very reason) but at the moment the
16 code is NOT network safe. I'm using it with RCS for the moment.
17
18 What I'd like is a few people to come find me on IRC so I can walk them
19 through an install (its distro-independant so any *nix should do). I'd
20 rather do it this way so I can keep track of feedback in realtime while
21 its still such an early beta.
22
23 Anyone who's interested please come find me on #gentoo-server on
24 freenode.
25
26 Ta :)
29 rob holland - [ tigger@g.o ]
30 irc://irc.freenode.net/#gentoo as tigger^
31 http://dev.gentoo.org/~tigger/tigger@××××××××××.asc