From: Sandy McArthur <sandymac@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o, eric@××××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] New GSDS snapshot - network discovery
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:09:36
1 Eric Sammer wrote:
2 > comments regarding design would be great.
3
4 I'm fond of Zeroconf and was pleased to see a mention in section 2.4 of
5 gsds_specification.txt . I think it's generally a good idea but you may
6 want to accomidate people who don't want to use it. Some large scale
7 deployments may want to use a more centerally controled setup.
8
9 Zeroconf is really a collection of [draft] standards. What you're really
10 intersted in is DNS Service Discovery [DNS-SD] which can work with the
11 existing DNS infrastructure. Or when combined with Multicast DNS [mDNS]
12 it can work in a more ad-hoc manner. The latter is what most people
13 think of when you say Zeroconf/Rendezvous(TM) even though there is more
14 to Zeroconf than service discovery.
15
16 I think DNS-SD over normal DNS first, falling back to mDNS would be a
17 good idea. Old skool admins will probably prefer the control of DNS-SD
18 over DNS and would enabled the GSDS server to live somewhere other than
19 the local subnet. mDNS doesn't work across subnets without a proxy
20 responder which would suck when you want to deploy a machine in the next
21 subnet.
24 While I'm talking about Zeroconf let me plug Howl which has recently
25 been added to the portage tree at net-misc/howl. Unlike the Apple's
26 Posix mDNS/DNS-SD implementation it can take dynamic updates from
27 clients. Apple's Posix implementation currently requires you to edit a
28 config file and restart the daemon for any changes to take effect. It's
29 really designed for embeded devices who's service list won't change
30 frequently.
31
32 DNS-SD: http://www.dns-sd.org/
33 mDNS: http://www.multicastdns.org/
34 Howl: http://porchdogsoft.com/products/howl/
35
36 ... and my page about Zeroconf http://sandy.mcarthur.org/code/zeroconf/
37
38 I hope that made sense, I've written it in lots of little free moments
39 thoughout the day.
40
41 Sandy McArthur