From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Gentoo build server
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:47:31
1 Sancho2k.net Lists wrote:
2 > The reason I relate this is that I would like to get input on whether
3 > our process can be streamlined past this point. Our goals are as follows:
4 >
5 > 1. Centralize build source
6 > 2. Rapid deployment (installation and packages)
7 > 3. Control software/system versions
8 >
9 > The intention is to set up a local rsync mirror on the LAN and use this
10 > as the source of updating portage across all systems. Then even if
11 > someone gets a wild hair and decides to emerge sync out of the blue,
12 > they have the latest portage available per our discretion. Then our
13 > build server and all "clients" will update thier Portage trees from this
14 > mirror. All packages will be compiled and built on the build server and
15 > possibly burned in prior to rollout on the production servers. This
16 > seems to fit the need of #1 and #3. #2 is proving to be a bit more
17 > difficult, as described above. Maybe if we used a more recent livecd
18 > (currently 1.4.? from 09/03) it would have a more current portage and
19 > allow us to take the system from untarring stage3 directly to emerge
20 > sync and system in less time.
23 Although the 2004.0 LiveCD will solve your problem, all you need is the
24 2004 stage2 or stage3 .tar.bz2.
25
26 >>>> 2) Not running 'emerge sync' from each server is actually harmful to
27 >>>> the
28 >>>> server. You might be able to use 'emerge regen' to mitigate most of
29 >>>> this, but I haven't investigated it that fully (since I switched from
30 >>>> NFS /usr/portage to a BINHOST).
33 > Taking this advice to heart. I now see that trying to share /usr/portage
34 > across all hosts via NFS was foolish as Portage was not designed to
35 > operate like that.
38 It used to work better, but Portage has matured and has provided better
39 management which has made NFS less and less workable.
40
41 > I've heard recommendations to run fixpackages at times. What is the
42 > exact purpose of that? It appears to handle moving packages to different
43 > categories as Portage changes. Is it recommended to run this often, or
44 > after a new emerge sync, for example?
47 Yes, I'd run it on a cron job daily on your build server -- just in case.
48
49 > Another thing we're investigating is the need to use emerge with the -D
50 > and -U options to make sure that all packages and dependencies on the
51 > build server are always kept current. At this point, it sounds like a
52 > fine idea to me. Are there compelling reasons why this might not be a
53 > good idea?
56 Using -D and -e regularly are great ways to keep your build server busy
57 and should prevent dependancy problems when building a new server.
58
59 jbw