From: Patrik Jansson <fbsd@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Can't mount root device (PERC 5/i)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:48:25
1 Steve Dommett wrote:
2 > I'm sure the problem was the lack of partition table support in your
3 > custom kernel.... that was the only difference between the LiveCD dmesg
4 > and your custom kernel's.
5
6 But that was most likely already enabled in several kernels that I have
7 tried before. The first thing I tried, actually, was to install a kernel
8 derived from the LiveCD's kernel configuration.
9 Anyway, it might have been the case that I did something wrong in the
10 beginning which resulted in the LiveCD kernel config never being used.
11 In that case you're right!
12
13 >> SCSI device sdb: 285474816 512-byte hdwr sectors (146163 MB)
14 >> sdb: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
15 >> sdb: asking for cache data failed
16 >> sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
17 >> sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3
18 >
19 >> SCSI device sda: 285474816 512-byte hdwr sectors (146163 MB)
20 >> sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
21 >> sda: asking for cache data failed
22 >> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
23 >> sda: unknown partition table
24 >
25 > Perhaps the drive was partitioned using Window Logical Disk manager or
26 > somesuch?
27
28 It was partitioned using fdisk.
29
30 For any of you who has this problem in the future:
31
32 Try using the kernel configuration from the LiveCD. I did zcat
33 /proc/config.gz > /etc/kernel/kernel-config-x86-2.6.19-r5 (be sure to
34 name the configuration according to your kernel version). Run `genkernel
35 --menuconfig all` and be sure that the LSI drivers (Device Drivers >
36 SCSI device support > SCSI low-level drivers) are all compiled into
37 kernel. And also that EFI GUID Partition support is enabled (File
38 systems > Partition types).
39
40 I will report back if I notice anything more.
41
42 Thank you all for your help!
43 /P.
47 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list