From: RijilV <rijilv@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] what is the best filesystem for a server
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:01:37
1 2008/6/9 "Todd M. Hébert" <todd@×××.ie>:
2 > We use RAID 1 on servers that are not file servers, RAID 4 or 5 on
3 > file-servers (depending on how much need for redundancy we have on a
4
5 Doesn't RAID 4 and 5 offer the same level of protection? I thought
6 the only difference was RAID4 had a dedicated parity device whereas
7 RAID5 stripes parity information across all devices. In either case,
8 loose two drives and the RAID is toast.
11 > We're in a data centre that isn't likely to have blackouts. (It can run on
12 > batteries for 6 hours, and has diesel generators with 48-hours worth of fuel
13 > on-site, as well as an emergency supply-chain for the diesel.)
14
15 I too have been in very very high profile very very nice data centers
16 with a jabillion hours of battery backup and even more of generator
17 power. One time someone hit the BIG RED BUTTON on the floor where
18 our gear was caged and presto - power was gone. Another time the city
19 cut the power mains to the building, and the generator that was
20 supposta supply half of our racks someone had left in "manual" mode as
21 apposed to automatic, thus taking out a fair number of our servers. I
22 think if you ask any sufficiently large group of people for horor
23 stories of power going out in a N+2 redundant power environmnet,
24 you'll get way more than you were looking for.
27 > I've not seen problems as described below on 3Ware cards... I believe the
28 > configuration for each RAID is is backed-up on each disk in the RAID set.
29 > I've never had a problem with those. (I have seen a problem with another
30
31 I too have only ever had wonderful experiences with 3Ware cards under
32 Linux. I've not had one of their cards fail, but have had backplanes
33 fail and bad cables. Diagonosing and getting your vendor to admit to
34 a bad backplane generally requires more than one outtage :( Now LSI
35 cards on the otherhand have caused me some grief.
38 > XFS filesystems no all of the above, just for reference.
39
40 FWIW, always have run ext3, unless it was before ext3 was 'stable',
41 then it was ext2.
42
43 .r'
44 --