From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: My stab at a 2.4.22 "server" patch
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:52:56
1 On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 19:43, Steve Arnold wrote:
2 > I think you've hit the nail on the head here, as the kernel seems to
3 > be the one thing in Gentoo I haven't been happy with lately; I've
4 > tried many, including making that Planet CCRMA sources ebuild in an
5 > attempt to get something like the performance I get with rh9 and the
6 > binary CCRMA kernel. I still haven't done it yet...
7
8 Intriguing. Has it occured to you that maybe the reason you won't get
9 equivalent performance is because the Redhat distro is suppoting Ulrich
10 Drepper's very fast, scaleable POSIX threads implementation (NPTL) in
11 the glibc shipped by Redhat (as well as the kernel of course)? I
12 revamped by desktop system to support NPTL recently and I can tell you
13 ... it's fast. The thing is, I don't believe any Gentoo user has yet
14 attempted to bootstrap a glibc against 2.4 sources (probably because the
15 redhat/fedora kernel is the only available 2.4 sources that support it).
16 Also, building sys-libs/glibc with USE="nptl" expects 2.6 sources in
17 place. That is something I want to try soon; I think I mentioned this in
18 a previous post. Basically, this benefits anything that links to
19 pthread.so (many things). To give you but one example, I've heard of
20 300% performance improvements in MySQL.
21
22 Interestingly, Redhat have dropped the RMAP VM from the latest set of
23 sources (certainly the Fedora 1 sources). This is somewhat
24 dissapointing. I believe that Andrea's stock VM may appear faster under
25 certain useage patterns, but Rik's RMAP will hold up better under
26 serious stressloads (i.e. servers). That is why I hope I am capable of
27 patching it in, as Marc did with the WOLK kernel.
28
29 > My one recommendation now would be to drop the lm_sensor patches (or
30 > don't include them) but make sure i2c is current. Maybe you could
31 > even do a local use flag for stable/dev branches (I don't know what
32 > the i2c state is right now, so maybe that's a moot point).
33 >
34 > I'm not sure about 2.4.22, but the earlier kernel tree included a
35 > rather stale set of i2c modules (and no lm_sensors), whereas wolk
36 > includes updated versions of both. The latter approach seems handy
37 > from one perspective, however, it somewhat collides with the
38 > lm_sensors package (since both the i2c and lm_sensors ebuilds
39 > over-write any existing kernel modules).
40 >
41 > I'm not sure if that's very clear, but the lm_sensor ebuild includes
42
43 Yes, I follow - the lm_sensors ebuild wants to build modules against the
44 current kernel sources/headers.
45
46 > both the user-space tools and modules; since a set of kernel
47 > patches only includes the sensor modules, it's only partially
48 > usable.
51 > Depending on the age/version of the kernel i2c code, I think
52 > adding a set of i2c patches (maybe one for each branch, since both
53 > branches are in gentoo already) is the best way to go. Most of the
54 > kernel sources I've tried in the last few months update at least
55 > i2c, if not both update i2c/add lm_sensors.
56
57 Interesting. I might hit you up for some advice on how to actually use
58 the things! I'm not very experienced with lm_sensors. But yes, I'll keep
59 an eye open for any patches in accordance with your wishes.
62 > Well, that's my $.02 (other than offering encouragement). Of
63 > course, I can't offer much in the way of real help until my
64 > crap-load of work gets at least a little smaller.
65
66 Being an experienced programmer you could perhaps help me out and show
67 me how to use CVS _properly_ ;)
68
69 --Kerin Francis Millar