From: Brett Curtis <dashnu@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Drive issues or overload
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:22:55
1 I have several IBM x series servers at work and one of my machines
2 drives seem to be acting up a bit. I get a major loss in system time
3 and performance.
4
5 My dmesg tailed..
6
7 hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x61
8 hda: DMA timeout error
9 hda: dma timeout error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
10
11 ide: failed opcode was: unknown
12 hda: DMA disabled
13 hdb: DMA disabled
14 ide0: reset: success
15 hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
16 hda: DMA timeout error
17 hda: dma timeout error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
18
19 ide: failed opcode was: unknown
20 hda: DMA disabled
21 ide0: reset: success
22 hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
23 hda: DMA timeout error
24 hda: dma timeout error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
25
26 ide: failed opcode was: unknown
27 hda: DMA disabled
28 ide0: reset: success
29 hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
30 hda: DMA timeout error
31 hda: dma timeout error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
32
33 ide: failed opcode was: unknown
34 hda: DMA disabled
35 ide0: reset: success
36 Losing too many ticks!
37 TSC cannot be used as a timesource.
38 Possible reasons for this are:
39 You're running with Speedstep,
40 You don't have DMA enabled for your hard disk (see hdparm),
41 Incorrect TSC synchronization on an SMP system (see dmesg).
42 Falling back to a sane timesource now.
43 hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
44 hda: DMA timeout error
45 hda: dma timeout error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
46
47 ide: failed opcode was: unknown
48 hda: DMA disabled
49 ide0: reset: success
50 spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
53 This machine is our continues build environment that builds out
54 several instances of our app and is under extreme load at times. I am
55 wondering if this is a sign of a bad drive or if this has something
56 to do with overload.
57
58 I am able to enable dma after the fact with hdparm. I do not run any
59 special hdparm option at boot. The only thing I do is build the ide /
60 drive options in to my kernel.
61
62 Any suggestions would be great.
63