From: Linux OnTheEdge <linuxontheedge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-server] Perc3Di SCSI RAID + Adaptec 2810SA RAID = Fatal Grub Error?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:36:08
1 I have a Dell PowerEdge 2650 with on-board Adaptec Perc3Di SCSI RAID
2 controller (mirrored 18GB drives for OS). It also has an add-in
3 Adaptec 2810SA 8-channel SATA RAID card. After installing installing
4 GRUB to the MBR of the mirrored 18GB drives for OS, when I boot the
5 system, I get "GRUB Loading Stage2Read Error".
6
7 The Dell system and both RAID controllers were updated to their latest
8 BIOS versions prior to installing the OS.
9
10 I even tried (to no avail) booting with a LiveCD, chrooting, and running:
11 "grub-install /dev/sda".
12
13 When I remove the add-in card from the system, grub works perfectly
14 off of the on-board Adaptec Perc3Di SCSI RAID controller (mirrored
15 18GB drives for OS).
16
17 I don't think the latest Dell BIOS for this machine has the provision
18 to boot from add-in cards first, or to prioritize add-in cards after
19 the on-board devices.
20
21 I do know that the SATA add-in controller definately comes up first
22 after POST before the on-board SCSI controller's BIOS.
23
24 As suggested by various people, I booted the system using the LiveCD
25 and once booted, I chroot'ed, then ran:
26
27 grub
28 grub> root(hd0,0)
29 grub> setup(hd0)
30
31 This command did not return any errors. All output looked successful
32 and normal from my experience on single-disk systems.
33
34 /boot/grub/devices.map, fdisk -l, and grub tab expansion output all
35 confirm that /dev/sda is indeed (hd0), and root is definately (hd0,0).
36
37 By the way, I also verified that /dev/sda1 is bootable, and that
38 /dev/sdb1 is not bootable.
39
40 Now, when I boot the system, instead of getting a grub stage 2 error,
41 I get a grub stage 1.5 error, even after additionally trying:
42
43 grub> root (hd0,0)
44 grub> setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0)
45 grub> quit
46
47 My setup is
48
49 On-Board Raid:
50 /dev/sda (18GB Mirror)
51 /dev/sda1 = /boot
52 /dev/sda2 = /
53
54 External SATA Raid:
55 /dev/sdb (1.4 TB Raid5)
56 (unassigned)
57
58 CD-Rom
59 /dev/hda
60
61 This issue can also be found here:
62 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-310605.html
63
64 Any help would be greatly appreciated.
65 --
66 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list
69 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list