From: "Longman
To: "'gentoo-server@l.g.o'" <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Active Directory integration
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:23:34
1 > I've recently begun administrating a site that has about 20 Linux
2 > servers of various flavors, another 25 Windows 2003 servers,
3 > and soon 15
4 > Apple Xserves. Previously no real policies of any sort
5 > existed, so I've
6 > been trying to consolidate servers and users and what not. On the
7 > Windows side this was fairly easily accomplished via Active
8 > Directory.
9 > I've begun setting up our new Apple XRaid and it's cluster
10 > nodes. While
11 > doing this I noticed that it has some built in support for Active
12 > Directory authentication, which got me to thinking whether I
13 > could also
14 > integrate all the Linux servers into this scheme.
15 >
16 > Basically I would like to use Active Directory to manage
17 > users, groups,
18 > and passwords. Then have the Linux servers hit up against this using
19 > LDAP to translate the uid and gids for some ssh access, filesystem
20 > access via Samba and ftp, a few email accounts for use with
21 > postfix/dovecot, web authentication, etc. I would also like to make
22 > sure I can change passwords on the Linux side.
23 >
24 > My limited understanding says that this is similar to an
25 > OpenLDAP setup
26 > through pam/nss with the further modification of remapping some
27 > attributes to Active Directory ones (or altering the AD schema, which
28 > seems unnecessary to me). Oh, and then there's Kerberos to
29 > deal with,
30 > which I need to do some more research on.
31 >
32 > I would like to know if there's anyone out there who's tried to or
33 > successfully accomplished this and whether it's any better or
34 > worse than
35 > setting up a separate OpenLDAP server. I'd prefer to keep it in one
36 > directory, but also don't want to cause myself any
37 > unnecessary headaches.
38
39 I've looked into this same thing, Brian. I have one XServe, and lots of the
40 other servers - Win2k3, Win2k, Linux, Solaris. One of the things that you
41 might consider is looking at Windows Services for Unix. You can then put the
42 UID/GID info in AD.
43
44 You should look at winbind, ldap, ldapsam and kerberos USE flags. Prolly
45 pam, too.
46
47 Bill
48 --