From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] iptables && fail2ban
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 09:53:17
1 2009/8/2 mrfroasty <mrfroasty@×××××.com>:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have setup iptables and fail2ban, but I am curios that this line of
5 > defense seem not to work and ban me if i do this:
6 > #wget ftp://mysql:xxxx@fileserver
7 >
8 > I have seen a script kido, doing that and firewall just didnt respond to
9 > him or atleast not on the logs that he had been banned when he tried that.
10 > The firewall does ban or respond if I do this:
11 > #wget ftp://foo:pass@fileserver
12 >
13 > Probably he could have been banned if used a different user, but not
14 > mysql...I am confused...any clue? :-D
15
16 You haven't provide any pertinent background information (ftp daemon
17 in use, log message which is expected to trigger action, details of
18 the fail2ban filter and so forth), which makes it rather difficult to
19 take a view. My guess is that the particular filter you are using
20 contains a regex which matches log messages from the daemon which
21 convey only an invalid user, rather than an authentication failure in
22 general. If so, you would need to adjust the filter - or add an
23 additional one - so as to cover both cases.
24
25 As a side note, do be careful when crafting the regular expressions
26 that form the basis of the filter. The slightest mistake can
27 potentially result in the tool being open to attack itself via log
28 injection. For more information on this topic, search for
29 "attacking-loganalysis.html" via Google and view the cached copy; the
30 original article seems to have disappeared from the ossec.net site.
31
32 Cheers,
33
34 --Kerin