From: Kammi Cazze <kammicazze@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Gentoo build server
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 10:19:40
1 I don't know if you know about this neither if it is a solution for you, but
2 take a look at it :)
3
4 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=755176#755176
5
6 Khammi
9 >From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
10 >Reply-To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
11 >To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
12 >CC: gentoo-server@l.g.o
13 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Gentoo build server
14 >Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:11:21 -0700 (MST)
15 >
16 >Joby Walker said:
17 >
18 > >>>2) Not running 'emerge sync' from each server is actually harmful to
19 >the
20 > >>>server. You might be able to use 'emerge regen' to mitigate most of
21 > >>>this, but I haven't investigated it that fully (since I switched from
22 > >>>NFS /usr/portage to a BINHOST).
23 > >>
24 > >> Any chance you could expand on this more? It's starting to sound like
25 >it
26 > >> may be more difficult than expected to maintain a central
27 > >> portage/package
28 > >> source for all of our servers.
29 > >>
30 > >
31 > > An "emerge sync" runs a lot of maintenance on the /var/db/pkg and
32 > > /var/cache/edb directories. As packages are relabeled or recategorized,
33 > > "emerge sync" re-orgs your /var caches to reflect the new structure. If
34 > > this maintenance doesn't happen you will start getting dependancy errors
35 > > when trying to install a package. This happened to me with Perl.
36 >
37 >So, if each system should have emerge sync ran on it to keep these caches
38 >in good shape, then /usr/portage will be updated on each host too. If the
39 >administrators of these other hosts decide to (or forget the process),
40 >they could bypass our package server and freely install from their own
41 >local portage tree.
42 >
43 >But that might not be a real concern. As long as BINHOST is honored,
44 >binary packages from the master server will still be used. /usr/portage
45 >will be basically unused in this case, but still maintained.
46 >
47 >I guess we're just not lessening the need to avoid maintaining
48 >/usr/portage on each host. Is there no way to do that?
49 >
50 >It might not be a big deal, if we make sure that our build server is the
51 >source for these syncs.
52 >
53 >DS
54