From: Jason Harley <jharley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo and Xeon CPUs
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 15:57:07
1 On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 12:48 -0300, Claudinei Matos wrote:
2 > Actually I did installed gentoo at one dual Xeon 3.0 but I did
3 > installed with p4 support instead of ia64 since I can't boot a ia64
4 > livecd to begin gentoo install.
5
6 The Xeon's were more than likely 'EMT64' which is Intel's implementation
7 of x86_64 -- as I'm not aware of any Dell server shipping with an
8 Itanium. The AMD64 Gentoo LiveCD would have worked.
9
10 IA64 and x86_64 are _very_ different architectures.
11
12 ./JRH
13
14 > I've looked for a livecd for ia64 architeture but I didn't found, so
15 > I've tryed to use the amd64 livecd (I read in some places it could
16 > work) and it boot up but I can't chroot into the ia64 stage1
17 > directory :/
18 > So I think you could use one previous debian for ia64 installation for
19 > begin gentoo install if you have time to do it. I didn't 'cause I had
20 > to put the machine to work quickly.
21 > By the way, the server is really fine, without any problem, and I
22 > thinking to upgrade it to ia64 as soon as I order another server.
23 > About the onboard devices, if you are using a SE7520BD2 from Intel you
24 > may just have to compile LSI Pro Logic driver into the kernel and
25 > boot-up without initrd or put these modules into the initrd if you
26 > want initrd 'cause genkernel doesn't doit by default.
27 >
28 > Cheers to ia64 architeture, let me know if you able to do it.
29 >
30 > Claudinei Matos
31 >