From: Karl Zander <gentoolist@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Problems switching to udev and 2.6.x kernel
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:36:45
1 I finally got around to switching our samba box to the 2.6.x kernel. I
2 followed the kernel migration guide posted on-line. Upon reboot with the
3 2.6.14-hardened-r3 kernel it failed because it could not find any
4 devices. After poking around a bit on the forum I did see posts about
5 altering fstab to use different device names like
6
7 /dev/discs/disc0/part2 /boot ext3
8 /dev/discs/disc0/part3 none swap
9 etc
10
11 in place of
12 /dev/sda2 /boot ext3
13 /dev/sda3 none swap
14 etc
15
16 Those changes allowed me to at least boot up.
19 I did remove devfs after installing udev. I see now the migration guide is
20 silent about removing devfs. Was removing it incorrect?
21 The server was up to date before I tried the migration. Both system and
22 world were updated.
23
24 Other forum postings indicated to be sure HOT_PLUGGING was enabled in the
25 kernel. It was. In the 2.6.14 kernels it seems to be set to Y
26 automatically and you can not set it to N.
27
28 in /etc/conf.d/rc RC_DEVICES="auto"
29
30 After spending most of Saturday working on this I finally reverted to
31 2.4.32-hardened-r2 and emerged devfs again. My "regular" device names
32 reappeared again.
33
34 So what's the secret to udev?
35