From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] iproute2
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 06:09:25
1 One of my servers has a lot of IP aliases on eth0 so I thought it would be
2 easier to use iproute2 instead of ifconfig. I duly commented out
3 modules=("ifconfig") in /etc/conf.d/net (since the comments indicate
4 iproute2 is the default in that case). Upon reboot, the startup scripts
5 showed the IP aliases being added and each said [ok] but they did not
6 appear to be added at all. Did I do something wrong or is iproute2 not the
7 right tool for the job? I switched back to ifconfig and the startup
8 scripts work fine.
9
10 Also, each IP took a few seconds to add (this machine has 260 IPs!) - as
11 you can imagine it took about 15 minutes to add all the IPs before the
12 rest of the boot process could continue. Is there any way to speed this
13 up? Maybe forego the "arping" check for every single IP added?
14
15 Final problem: I tried to force full-duplex on eth0 by using ethtool in
16 the preup() function in /etc/conf.d/net. But now Im seeing errors like
17 this on my console:
18
19 eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.
20 Probably a duplex mismatch. See Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
21 Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 4225325(13) current 4225325(13)
22 Transmit list 00000000 vs. f7c2da20.
23 0: @f7c2d200 length 8000059a status 0001059a
24 1: @f7c2d2a0 length 80000042 status 00010042
25 2: @f7c2d340 length 800005ea status 000105ea
26 3: @f7c2d3e0 length 800005ea status 000105ea
27 4: @f7c2d480 length 800005ea status 000105ea
28 5: @f7c2d520 length 80000245 status 00010245
29 6: @f7c2d5c0 length 800005ea status 000105ea
30 7: @f7c2d660 length 800005ea status 000105ea
31 8: @f7c2d700 length 800005ea status 000105ea
32 9: @f7c2d7a0 length 800005ea status 000105ea
33 10: @f7c2d840 length 800005ea status 000105ea
34 11: @f7c2d8e0 length 800005ea status 000105ea
35 12: @f7c2d980 length 8000042a status 8001042a
36 13: @f7c2da20 length 800005e2 status 000105e2
37 14: @f7c2dac0 length 800005e2 status 000105e2
38 15: @f7c2db60 length 8000059a status 0001059a
41 The switch this is plugged in to (HP ProCurve) indicates that the port is
42 set to 100Mbit-FDx with flow control switched on, so why the errors? The
43 NICs on this server are 3c980-C.
48 A
49 --
50 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list