From: Edward Muller <emuller@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-server@l.g.o" <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-server@l.g.o" <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Emerging for servers
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:52:36
2 Edward Muller
3
4 On Sep 29, 2008, at 11:18 AM, "Sven Vermeulen" <swift@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Edward Muller
7 > <emuller@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 >> You would of course want:
9 >>
10 >> FEATURES="buildpkg"
11 >>
12 >> in your make.conf
13 >
14 > A possible architecture would be to have a development server (where
15 > Gentoo is used as it is used mostly, i.e. source-builds, but with a
16 > somewhat static portage tree), then a staging server with
17 > FEATURES=buildpkg, then a testing server where you only install the
18 > binaries (which were created on the staging server) and if the testing
19 > is succesfull, proceed with the production server.
20
21 We actually pull upstream portage into a git repository and merge only
22 the packages that we need to merge into our production branch. This
23 also allows us to test incoming packages for various levels of breakage.
24
25 We use a dedicated build system to compile the binaries used by our
26 systems.
29 > Of course, that would require some resources although virtualization
30 > can help you a great deal.
31 >
32 > Wkr,
33 > Sven Vermeulen