From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: Gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] USE=nptlonly and -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs -- when to use?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:04:51
1 Since I'm trying to optimize Gentoo on XenServer (as DomU, *not*
2 Dom0), I think this question is best addressed to gentoo-server list.
3
4 When I was emerging glibc, I got this warning:
5
6 * You are using Xen but don't have -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs in your CFLAGS.
7 * This will result in a 50% performance penalty when running with a 32bit
8 * hypervisor, which is probably not what you want.
9
10 A google-fu brought me to this page:
11
12 http://cs.felk.cvut.cz/~vaclam1/linux/ucebna/k310/data/doc/howto-xen-and-gentoo-en.html#Before_we_begin
13
14 There, it mentions 2 things to be done:
15
16 * -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs in CFLAGS
17 * USE=nptlonly for sys-libs/glibc -- which I assume has been
18 superseded with the global USE=nptl
19
20 Now my questions:
21
22 1. When do we use either (or both)?
23
24 1a. I'm compiling Gentoo x86 on XenServer running on an x86-64 (Intel)
25 system, do I need them?
26
27 1b. I'm compiling Gentoo amd64 on XenServer running on an x86-64
28 (Intel) system, do I need them?
29
30 1c. Like (1a), but after completion, I'll migrate the VM onto a
31 XenServer running on a Pentium4 system (32-bit), do I need them?
32
33 (In other words, it's built on top of an x86-64 physical platform, but
34 will be running on top of an x86 physical platform)
35
36 TIA for your assistance.
37
38 Rgds,