From: "Jean-François Maeyhieux" <b4b1@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] authomatically renice compilations processes upon system load
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:50:25
1 On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 21:17, Andrea Ferraris wrote:
2
3 > Hi all!
4 >
5 > Sorry for the double post, but at the first one I went wrong with the
6 > thread.
7 >
8 > it's some time that I'm wandering if there are already some software
9 > or bunch of scripts to adapt the Gentoo compilations to the system load.
10 > It is, is would be a great thing if the compilation of new or updated
11 > packages could be at lower priority when the system load is high and
12 > at a higher priority when the system load is lower.
13 >
14 > I think that could be made with some scripts and the nice command, but
15 > I don't know if something like that already exists.
16 >
17 > Somebody knows?
20 > Best regards,
21 > Andrea Ferraris
22 >
23 > ---
24 > If this message isn't electronically signed (digital authentication),
25 > then it could come from anybody, also from who appears as the sender.
29 I think it's not too much difficult to done it with a "bash script"
30 launched by "crontab" that adjust some tty niceness with "snice"
31 according to system load check with "uptime"...
32 You should note that play with priority is really strange if you use
33 a preemptive kernel (if you have choosed the option in a 2.6.x kernel).
34 So if it's a server, i think you shouldn't have a preemptive one.
35
36 TuTTle
42 PGP/GPG Public Key
43 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x63DB4770
44 Key fingerprint = 4766 39E7 F30A FA2C 71A0 C6C8 1D54 72F5 63DB 4770