From: Jeroen Geilman <jeroen@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-user] Basic SMTP server]
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:15:23
1 Robert Welz wrote:
4 > Introducing myself I run a small public web and mailserver with
5 > Gentoo-XEN and I am continually improving my architecture. Now I don't
6 > know how to get all the cronjob messages and Hardware failures to my
7 > imap server without running lot's of postfix instaces.
8
9 Not sure what you mean here - a well-designed MTA will not run more
10 threads than it needs to deliver.
11
12 > ssmtp seems to silently drop the outgoing mail into a dead-letter file
13 > somewhere in the /root folter so when my network is down or my primary
14 > mailserver fails so I will never get noticed about problems with my
15 > hardware/software/cronjobs.
18 > So I am looking for a basic smtp server,too but it must have its own
19 > mail queue.
20
21 In other words, you're looking for an MTA.
22 I'd suggest Exim, as it is very easy to set up, and quite small (it will
23 run happily on a P-100 with thousands of messages per day)
24
25 > Any advice would be welcome. My tool shoul try to resend messages in
26 > intervals or the like and it shoud save my valuable resources (small,
27 > leightweight).
28
29 Again, basic functions of an MTA.
30