From: radu herinean <radu@××××.ro>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] nptl
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:06:56
1 I was just following the conversation but I am convinced now.
2 For the record, I am running two "pretty regular" web-oriented servers:
3 web, db, email, lists, dns, some low band streaming, no fileserving and
4 no nat or any type of routing.
5
6 I've used nptl before, but I gave up because I had some problems running
7 turck-mmcache on a nptl-only apache.
8 Since mmcache is obsolete and not used on the server anymore I see no
9 problem switching back to a nptl-only environment.
10
11 Although I think I know all the steps I am supposed to do, I would
12 really appreciate it if some would point out the "migration" steps, just
13 in case I don't miss some important stage.
14
15 Thank you guys.
16
17 -----Original Message-----
18 From: J. Ryan Earl [mailto:ryan@×××××××××××××××.com]
19 Sent: 10 august 2005 18:44
20 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
21 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] nptl
24 Billy Holmes wrote:
25
26 > This makes it easier and faster for the kernel to context switch
27 > between processes (and threads within a process).
28 >
29 > A prime example of this is a test from the LKML, where Ulrich Drepper
30 > wrote he was able to start and stop 100,000 threads in about 2
31 > seconds. In further messages, Ingo Molnar confirms this and also
32 > points out that before these changes, it would have taken upwards to
33 > 15 minutes for the same thing.
34 >
35 > http://kerneltrap.org/node/422
36
37 Absolutely true. NPTL is drastically more scalable than linuxthreads.
38 For instance, spawn 1000 worker threads in a JVM and the scheduling
39 overhead alone will cause the system to become unresponsive across the
40 board. Use NPTL and you can get 10000 threads all running no problem.
41
42 -ryan
43 --
44 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list