From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] qmail scanner insanity... someone please help
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 02:04:21
1 I apologize for my shrill tone here... It's just under 100 degrees F. in my living room,
2 I'm hours behind on the work I'm supposed to be doing today, and it seems unfair that
3 qmail-scanner lost its mind without my doing any updates.
4
5 Anyway, I hesitate to even say this, lest I curse myself, but I think I managed to stumble
6 across the correct sequence of magic incantations to get clamd and/or qmail-scanner to
7 quit puking... At least I haven't seen any errors in the logs in the last few minutes...
8 just the usual torrent of spam scan messages.
9
10 Still, I would love to understand this all better... if anyone has any sage
11 qmail/spamassassin/clamav/vpopmail survival advice they'd like to share, I'd love to hear it!
12
13 b
14
15 Ben Munat wrote:
16 > Hello all,
17 >
18 > Earlier today, I discovered that clamd was complaining about permissions
19 > in my logs (clamdscan: corrupt or unknown clamd scanner error or
20 > memory/resource/perms problem). I have spent hours and hours trying to
21 > get this horrid piece of software to not stomp on my email (why in the
22 > world someone would think that it's a good idea for a misconfigured
23 > virus scanner to not allow any email through is beyond me).
24 >
25 > I tried the instructions posted here:
26 >
27 > http://qmail.jms1.net/clamav-qms.shtml
28 >
29 > and here:
30 >
31 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_QMAIL_RELAY-CTRL_VPOPMAIL
32 >
33 > Nothing worked... I went from the above error to the ever annoying
34 > "cannot open /var/spool/qscan/qmail-scanner-queue-version.txt - did you
35 > initialise the system by running "qmail-scanner-queue.pl -z"? -
36 > Permission denied" Annoying because I have run "qmail-scanner-queue.pl
37 > -z" several times and it has no effect.
38 >
39 > I think I used to just run clamd as root to avoid all this, but that
40 > didn't appear to help. Currently, I've gone over and over all the files
41 > involved and everything's owned by qscand and that's what clamd and
42 > freshclam are set to run as.
43 >
44 > Based on the comments in that first link above about version 2.* of
45 > qmail-scanner, I went ahead and unmasked that and emerged it. But that
46 > seems to have made things even worse, since now the error messages are
47 > all about missing files in /var/spool/qscan... which didn't even exist!
48 > I've been creating the files in that dir as they show up in error
49 > messages in the logs, but now it's looking for /quarantine-events.db
50 > which I think is supposed to be a BDB file... and I have no idea how to
51 > create that.
52 >
53 > If anyone have any experience getting the evil qmail-scanner beast under
54 > control, I really really appreciate any guidance. I've had more trouble
55 > with this one package than anything else on gentoo. It's positively evil.
56 >
57 > In the meantime, I'm flying totally unscanned... fire-hose of spam,
58 > phishing email, viruses, etc.
59 >
60 > thanks,
61 >