From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portage suggestions
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:01:54
1 Tomek Lutelmowski wrote:
2 > I think these two features would be very nice for server enviroments:
3 >
4 > 1. For stability reasons, relaying only on "x86" flag is often not sufficient. There are many
5 > cases when someone masked package as stable, then, few hours later (after users feedback) its
6 > reverted to "~x86". After syncinc portage tree, I never know which packages marked as stable are
7 > truly stable and well tested by community. My idea is to include new flag for emerge. For examle:
8 > # emerge -pu --stablesince=48h world Would list all packages for upgrade, which has not been
9 > changed since 48 hours, so there is low possiblity that this list includes untested packages.
10
11 Sounds logical to have this feature. It might simplify life.
12 Otherwise, a wrapper script should be able to do the same task.
13 But what about security bugfixes then? Always waiting 48h is not good, so you'll end up using
14 glsa-check after `emerge -pu --stablesince=48h world` or something.
15
16 Or was there an option (or suggestion for such) to emerge to update all packages that are security
17 related?
18
19 > 2. In all my server instalations, I like to keep portage tree as small as possible - for two
20 > reasons: syncinc speed and disk space ussage. Now I can only use RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM flag in
21 > make.conf to exclude portage branches from syncinc. Much more convinient and efficent would be
22 > RSYNC_INLCUDEFROM flag, so I could define which branches of tree I want to sync. The portage tree
23 > will be much smaller, and I wouldnt have to remove new branches that I dont need to sync. Of
24 > course in longer term such flag would help to lower bandwich usage of rsync servers.
25
26 What about going the Apache way:
27
28 RSYNC_ORDER="INCLUDE,EXCLUDE"
29 RSYNC_INCLUDE="foo"
30 RSYNC_EXCLUDE="bar"
31
32 That will work in all cases and altgough a bit more difficult to implement, works in all situations,
33 as a "standasd" way to represent such situation, and easy to understang for the novice (is it?).
34
35 > What do you think about such features?
36 Although this is server related, shouldn't it be going to portage devs as well?
37 I think one of them are reading this ML.
38
39 Kalin.
40 --
42 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+