From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] [solved :(] Samba, concurrent access from win & linux (smbmount) dbase files
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:47:29
1 Anthony Gorecki wrote:
2 > On Saturday, August 13, 2005 5:22 pm, Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
3 >
4 >>I'm very open to every suggestion.
7 > What about OpenAFS?
11 Missed it. After some documentation reading at least three question come
12 in mind:
13
14 1) Are linux-2.6 kernels full supported and stable ?
15 There is an afs implementation into the kernel but its limited and
16 read-only.
17 gentoo propose net-fs/openafs-kernel unstable on all archs.
18
19 2) How good is the throughput compared to nfs/samba in a
20 single server - ten client setup ? It seem more targeted at
21 scalability and reliability then to brute force transfers.
22 The aplication that should run on it is based on db3 files, the file
23 access (network traffic) is huge.
24
25 3) How cpu/memory intensive is it? We have a zoo of pc varing from
26 pentium 3 to athlon 1.8, maximum ram installed is 384 Meg.
27
28 what's your thoughts ?
29
30 In the meantime I've installed the windows version and will make some
31 try this week.
32
33 Thanks
34 --