From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Server-class mobo with lots of PCI slots *or* VLAN-supporting (802.1q) NIC?
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:27:51
1 On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 15:25, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 15:18, Denis Bondar <bondario@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> VLANs operate at Layer 2 (the data link layer) of the OSI model. So, the support of this feature is independent of the NIC. You can just configure your kernel to support it.
6 >
7 > I know, it should be that way. But I had this Gigabit D-Link NIC, and trying to send VLAN-tagged frames through that NIC just won't work.
8 >
9 > I had to plug an HP-branded NIC before VLAN-tagging works.
10 >
11 > Problem is, those HP-branded NICs are expensive; I'm looking for less expensive alternatives.
12 >
13 > (Of course, I might have done some mistakes; so I ask here for good measure)
16 Sorry, more information:
17
18 The server where I found that puzzling behavior was an HP DL...
19 something, running XenServer 5.6 sp2
20
21 So, there was no wrong kernel .config involved there.
22
23 The new mobo/NIC will go into a custom box, to test Gentoo Dom0+DomU on Xen 4.1.
24
25 Rgds,
26 --
27 FdS Pandu E Poluan