From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] manging windows
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:31:52
1 On Monday 20 February 2006 06:56 am, Paul Kölle wrote:
2 > I've never used TNG so I cannot judge about its merits but I note that
3 > lots of the information on their site is simply old/outdated. I've yet
4 > to see a feature TNG supports wich samba doesn't.
5
6 Well, from what you say, it appears that my research into samba-tng is already
7 a bit outdated. I would still like to seperate the file serving from the
8 authentication mechanisms. Perhaps I should look into SASL's NTLM mechanism.
11 > Hmm, I'm not trying to discourage you but I would be surprised if the MS
12 > consumer products will talk anything but NTLM (against w2k server,
13 > samba4, whatever) and I'm pretty sure none of the MS clients will do
14 > kerberos outside a domain context (prove me wrong please ;).
15
16 I understand that. Needless to say, I was very disappointed where windows (in
17 particular, xp home edition) falls short with authentication capabilities, at
18 least pGina can fill in the gaps on occasion. I wouldn't be surprised if
19 there are 3rd party tools, though I have not found them.
22 > One can get pretty far without krb5 though. cyrus-sasl can do NTLM so
23 > you can integrate Outlook with your SMTP/IMAP servers, squid can
24 > authenticate against a samba server, http-auth with NTLM should be
25 > possible (mod_ntlm) all reusing the logon credentials.
26 >
27 > cheers
28 > Paul
29
30 Thanks for all of your feedback, Paul. It's helped me in consideration for
31 various aspects of my setup, and hopefully others as well.
32
33 Robert
36 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list