From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] DomU freezes in the middle of booting [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:54:23
1 On Apr 12, 2012 9:46 PM, "Konstantin" <konstantin@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello Pandu,
6 > If you mean Tickless System (Dynamic Ticks) as NO_HZ=y so it already
7 > enabled for me.
8 >
9 > I figured out how to solve my problem with DomU. I've changed tsc_mode
10 > to something different from 0 or 4 and it seems started to work for
11 > me.
12 >
13 > Here is short tsc_mode option description from sample VM config file:
16 #----------------------------------------------------------------------------
17 > # tsc_mode : TSC mode (0=default, 1=native TSC, 2=never emulate,
18 3=pvrdtscp)
19 > # emulate TSC provides synced TSC for all vcpus, but lose perfomrance.
20 > # native TSC leverages hardware's TSC(no perf loss), but vcpu's TSC may
21 lose
22 > # sync due to hardware's unreliable/unsynced TSC between CPUs.
23 > # default intelligently uses native TSC on machines where it is safe,
24 but
25 > # switches to emulated if necessary after save/restore/migration
26 > # pvrdtscp is for intelligent apps that use special Xen-only
27 paravirtualized
28 > # cpuid instructions to obtain offset/scaling/migration info and
29 maximize
30 > # performance within pools of machines that support the rdtscp
31 instruction
32 > tsc_mode=1
35 Ah, glad to hear that.
36
37 > BTW, does anybody has NTP server on a virtual machine? ;)
40 Actually, I do. With tickless, the clock drifts around unpredictably, so I
41 resort to having one of my VMs sync to the NTP pool, while other VMs sync
42 to that VM.
43
44 Rgds,