From: Zdenek Herman <hermelin@××××.cz>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] good idea
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:10:35
1 Hi
2 I think that project gentoo for server with stable portage tree is great idea.
3 I think that stable tree could be updated when security and bugfix issues
4 arrises, but when new much better release of application is out too - for
5 example samba, mysql etc. Indeed after deep testing.
6
7 I now preparing my own portage tree and stage3 package with binary (bz2) files
8 for using on servers and internet firewalls and gateways, compiled for i586
9 and upper system. Many people when  install servers wouldnt compile all
10 packages - its too slowly. Many distributions as RedHat and Mandrake change
11 their polici and support their product only short time - than users must
12 upgrade on newer version of their product. With gentoo, users could be stable
13 server platform for long time without upgrade all system - only criticaly
14 application.
17 Zdenek Herman
18 firma ing. Cenek ILLE
19 Vetrna 72