From: Matt Hallmark <matt@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] which ftp-server
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:41:29
1 You gain ftp access for those that are unable to get a sftp client
2 working. Hosting setups or whatnot.
3
4 Matt
5
6 Ben Munat wrote:
7
8 > Well, something (ssh?) installed sftp on both of my boxes... anything
9 > wrong with using that? It's secure and seems to work just fine. What do
10 > pureftp and proftp offer that sftp doesn't?
11 >
12 > b
15 > Andrea Ferraris wrote:
16 >
17 >>> From: "Benjamin Coles" <sj7trunks@g.o>
21 >>> I second proftpd... most people like to complain and say ftp is a
22 >>> unsecure protocol because it's not ssl. Well news to the people that
23 >>> don't know, proftpd supports ssl which works wonders on system=)
27 >> Thx. Good to know.
28 >>
29 >> I don't know wich are the details and I have very litle experience with
30 >> proftpd and none with pure-ftpd, but for curiosity I went to pure-ftpd
31 >> site and I saw:
32 >>
33 >> "Transmission of cleartext passwords and commands can be avoided :
34 >> Pure-FTPd has optional support for an SSL/TLS encryption layer using
35 >> the OpenSSL library. "
36 >>
37 >> I also saw that Pure-FTP doesn't have any records of security
38 >> vulnerability,
39 >> instead it seems that in the past there was compromised system due to
40 >> proftpd security bugs.
41 >>
42 >> Regards,
43 >> Andrea