From: Alex Efros <powerman@×××××××.ua>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] [gentoo-server] initng and runscript
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:29:28
1 Hi!
2
3 On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:45:34AM +0100, Andrea Carpani wrote:
4 > I'm looking around for alternatives to runscript style init scripts as I
5 > don't like very much default gentoo scripts. While I do like the
6 > depencencies stuff I still don't get why a "status" on a script gives
7 > "started" if the process died badly, or why I need to manually do a zap
8 > (can't restart do it for me?).
9 >
10 > I think status should be implemented in each init script and should give
11 > the real status of the service be it a ps|grep or whatever.
12 >
13 > One more thing I'd like to see is a init controlled check on the death
14 > of some daemons (sort of what daemontools does).
15 >
16 > This is why I'm asking: has anyone here seriously tested/used initng new
17 > scripts?
18
19 If you're looking for _reliable_ alternative for runscript style init scripts,
20 then you should look into 'runit' package. Runit is improved version of DJB's
21 'daemontools' package. I use it many years without any problems.
22
23 Check websites of daemontools and runit for all gore details why it's only
24 _reliable_ way to control services.
27 WBR, Alex.
28 --
29 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list