From: "Jan Dušek" <j.d@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: [gentoo-user] File system corruption?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:41:47
1 Collin Starkweather wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 21:06, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >>>!!! ERROR: There appears to be FILE SYSTEM CORRUPTION. A file that
5 >>>is listed
6 >>
7 >> This is a known bug with hashed btrees in the ext3 filesystem. It's
8 >>been around a while. Don't know why it isn;t getting fices unless the
9 >>fix is difficult.
12 I don't read gentoo-user so I didn't read the whole thread. But I
13 suppose you are speaking about the recent perl compilation problem. If
14 not, please ignore this email.
17 > This has got to be the worst error message I've seen in some time. It
18 > is basically a panic inducer where there is no need for one.
19 >
20 > I have a question for those who know a thing or two about filesystems
21 > (which I do not count myself amongst). I have a server that I won't
22 > have physical access to for at least a few weeks. Unmounting /var and
23 > tune2fsing as recommended in the bug report would be a major pain and I
24 > would like to wait until I have physical access to the box just in
25 > case.
26
27 Well, someone on the forums described the following as an easier way to
28 emerge perl without tune2fs stuff:
29
30 emerge -B perl
31 emerge -K perl
32
33 It worked for me. I know it doesn't solve the whole problem, but it's a
34 hack to get your perl working without tune2fs.
37 > Is this something that can cause cascading problems or can I put it off
38 > for a few weeks? (So far the box has been functioning perfectly.) Any
39 > thoughts / advice would be appreciated.
42 I don't think this problem influences the FS deeply. I've done couple of
43 times 'shutdown -Fr now' and then tried to recompile the perl and
44 everytime the only thing that the fsck repaired was one i-node (which
45 had 1 reference more that it should have or something). The point is
46 that this bug seems to only create one corrupted i-node and from what
47 I've learned about ext3 this shouldn't affect the whole system at all.
48
49 Hope it helps.
50
51 --jd
52
53 > -Collin
54 >
55 > P.S. I asked the same question of the bug responders on Bugzilla but
56 > so far have gotten nada.